Friday, October 24, 2008

Feeling your oats

When I'm staggering around the kitchen following my four-year old daughter Lindsay, I'll occasionally just toss something together in the for breakfast. Sometimes it's just Cheerios and blackberry yogurt; other times the muse strikes. This is my latest iteration on apple oatmeal; I'm really pleased with it. Not only do I have something tasty here, but it's a one-pot, one bowl cooking technique. Please note that all the measurements are very, very approximate - at seven in the morning with cartoons blaring, measuring spoons are not a high priority for me. Adjust to taste.

Apple oatmeal

3/4 cups whole oats
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2 T brown sugar
2 T apple butter
2 T raisins
2 T butter
1 small apple

Peel, core, and dice the apple. In a small saucepan, melt the butter until it foams. Saute the apple until lightly browned, stirring occasionally, 5-10 minutes. While this is going on, place everything but the water in a small bowl.

Empty the fried apples into the small bowl with your other ingredients. Bring water to a boil in the same saucepan you used for the apples. Add all the ingredients to the water, reduce to a simmer, and cook until al dente (5-10 minutes).

Serves 2.

No comments: